If you’ve been in business for at least five seconds, you know that if you want to be optimally successful in today’s business landscape, you have to get on Facebook. With an audience of 500 million active users and growing, it’s arguably the biggest opportunity for free advertisement to a massive market. If you’re convinced that the return on time invested in social media is dubious at best, it’s time to stop ignoring the power of the Facebook business page.
Many seasoned business owners aren’t well versed in the world of social media, so we’ve decided to revisit the basics.
1. What is a Facebook page? According to the social networking site itself, “Pages are for organizations, businesses, celebrities, and bands to broadcast great information in an official, public manner to people who choose to connect with them.” Basically, you sign up, enter some information about your business (i.e. name, location, hours, basic description) and begin posting updates, news stories and the like to engage fans and help bring more awareness to your brand.
2. How do I create a page? Facebook continually updates, revises and improves its functionality to create a more user-friendly experience. To create a page, click here, which takes you to a page that looks like this:
Pretty simple, right? Just pick the appropriate box and Facebook will guide you from there.
3. What is the difference between a business page and a user profile? Business accounts do not have the same functionality as personal accounts because business pages are designed for those who only wish to use the site to administer Pages and ad campaigns. Business accounts have limited access to information, including fan profiles and other site content that is not a part of the Pages they administer.
4. How do I administer my page? Once you’ve created your page, you may assign admins, who are other Facebook users of your choosing that you allow to edit and post content, adjust settings and so forth. You can have as many admins as you wish. To add an admin, simply choose the “Edit Page” option, select “Manage Admins” and type the name or email of the person you wish to add.
5. What are applications and how do I add them? Facebook defines applications as “engaging games and useful features like Events and Photos” that “allow you to play social games with your friends, remember friends’ birthdays, share your taste in movies, send gifts to friends, and much more.” To browse applications, click here.
6. How do I engage fans? As an admin, you can post status updates by using the “share” feature, located on your wall or on the News Feed at the top of the page. You can post updates about the latest news in your business, ask a question, post photos, share a link, or record or upload videos. These posts will be seen on the News Feed of those who have Liked your Page as well as those who just visit your Page.
Once you’re up and running, it’s time to focus on really engaging the Facebook universe to gain Fans and spread the word about your business. Be sure to vary your posts – post an update one day, some photos the next, and consider making a video. Since you are able to communicate directly with potential customers, you can also post information about current deals or specials your business is offering. Above all else, have fun with it! They don’t call it social networking for nothin’, and you’re more likely to keep existing fans interested and attract new ones if your content is entertaining.
Blue Interactive Agency is an interactive marketing agency in Fort Lauderdale that offers social media marketing. Our graphic design team will create a one of a kind design for your business Page to help get you started. For more information and to learn more about Facebook marketing, call us today at 954-779-2801.