The promise of increased traffic from the millions of social media users is enticing more and more companies to invest in Facebook and Twitter marketing. As the social networks continue to capture our attention, Facebook has come out with some impressive analytics detailing just how deep an impact the use of their site and social plugins has on generating direct traffic to websites; and with ever increasing revenue, Twitter makes a big move in purchasing its biggest third-party client.
Here is a look at some stats straight from Facebook, courtesy of Search Engine Land:
- The average media site integrated with Facebook has seen a 300% increase in referral traffic
- ABCNews.com, Washington Post and The Huffington Post are said to have more than doubled their referral traffic from Facebook since adding social plugins.
- Levi’s saw a 40 times increase in referral traffic from Facebook after implementing the Like button in April 2010 and has maintained those levels since.
- American Eagle added the Like button next to every product on their site and found Facebook referred visitors spent an average of 57% more money than non-Facebook referred visitors
- Like buttons get 3 to 5 times more clicks if: versions that show thumbnails of friends are used, they allow people to add comments, if they appear at both the top and bottom of articles and near visual content (like videos or graphics)
Since many established companies are skeptical of the real potential ROI of Facebook marketing, these stats will undoubtedly reassure those in charge that it’s a worthy investment. But what about Twitter? How can 140 characters really drive traffic? While we’ve yet to see as comprehensive a list of stats as Facebook has recently provided, the rumors from Wall Street Journal and other reputable sources that Twitter would buy Tweetdeck have proved true, as the social messaging service acquired the third-party application for a cool $40 million. This proves that Twitter has the power (and financial capability as a result) to persuade.
We’ve reported many times on the power of social media marketing for businesses, but these latest stories are proof in the pudding. Blue Interactive Agency is a full-service interactive marketing company, offering graphic design, Facebook and Twitter marketing and a suite of analytics designed to show you the value of digital advertising. We are currently still offering our Memorial Day special – come in and receive a FREE website analysis. Call us today at 954-779-2801 to schedule an appointment!