It’s still rough out there on the job front. According to a survey released this morning by the National Association for Business Economics, the U.S. economy will continue its slow growth in 2012, and joblessness will remain high. Nowadays, more people are using the Internet and social media sites to find jobs, and we’re not just talking about LinkedIn. So how can you optimize your resume with social media? Mashable gives us four great tips, and we added another to ensure you reach the people in charge.
- Be transparent. A considerable 10.9% of today’s applicants include at least one social media link on their resumes, and that number is on the rise. “The more transparent you make yourself to potential employers, the more comfortable they’ll be hiring you.” Add Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn profile URLs to the top of your resume, right next to your name and primary contact information.
- Be consistent. It’s easy to forget to update your LinkedIn or other social accounts when you’re adding to/editing your resume to send out. Keep a list of all the social media and career sites on which you’ve uploaded your information, and check them once a month to ensure that it’s up-to-date.
- Be selective. Choose a handful of solid phrases or anecdotes from your resume for your social profiles. Add these important excerpts to the “work experience” or “about me” sections instead of copying and pasting your entire resume. People are more likely to read short, concise statements that emphasize key takeaways over elaborate job duty descriptions.
- Be SEO-conscious. The vast majority of employers who look online to find candidates use Google to troll social media sites. Research job listings for words that pop up frequently, or use any number of powerful SEO tools to optimize your resume for search.
- Be social media-savvy. It’s always a good idea to do a little research on the companies you’re applying to, and/or hiring managers. Follow them on Twitter, like the company Facebook page or join a group they’re a member of on LinkedIn.
The online job landscape is more competitive than ever. With these tips, you’ll have a much better chance of reaching the right company contacts. If you’re looking for search engine optimization services, contact Blue Interactive Agency today. Blue offers interactive marketing services that include social media marketing, search engine marketing and more.