Websites are vital for communicating information to your customers, getting visibility for your business, and promoting products and services. Setting up your own website may seem like a challenging feat, but follow this simple step-by-step guide to launch your website with ease.
- Choose your domain name.
- This is the internet address of your website, for example:
BlueInteractiveAgency.com The best domain names should be easy to remember, concise, and obvious. Common types of domain names are “.com” for businesses or “.org” typically used for non-profit organizations. Foreign businesses may wish to choose a country specific domain name, such as “.ca” or “.uk”
- You’ll need to register your domain name. GoDaddy.com is the world’s largest domain name registrar, but you can also use Register.com or Dotster.com among other services. There are different types of registration options: Private unlisted registration shields your information from public view which is useful for personal websites. Business registration presents your company information in a searchable format.
- If you are going to be conducting ecommerce on your website, it’s essential to obtain an SSL certificate, which can also be purchased at your domain name registrar. An SSL certificate secures your site and lets customers know that their credit card and private information are safe from hackers. A secured stamp will appear on your website, informing your customers they are protected from online fraud.
- Choose a web host and sign up for an account. This will be the “home” for your website. There are many to choose from, some popular ones including FatCow, JustHost, and HostMonster.
- Now it’s time to create your website. We recommend designing and managing your website using WordPress because the online system allows you to build a professional-looking site – no technical expertise necessary. In WordPress, you choose a layout and personalize colors, images, and content. Everything is done from the WordPress control panel, where you log in to manage your web pages.
- Add extra features to your site with WordPress plugins. Go to the WordPress control panel and select Plugins, then Add New. Some helpful plugins to install are Slimstat, which provides detailed statistics and graphs about who’s visiting your website. The Gravity Forms plugin is the best for creating any type of form on your website. The Digg Digg Social Sharing plugin creates floating social media icons so users can easily Tweet or Like your page.
Now you have the tools you need to begin setting up your website. If you need any support during your process, Blue Interactive Agency offers services in custom web design, graphic and logo design, as well as search engine optimization to maximize online visibility of your finished product. If you have any questions, call us at 954-779-2801