You understand the importance of getting your website to rank on the first page of search engine results. To get targeted traffic to your website, the first step is keyword research and analysis. Keywords are crucial to any online marketing campaign, and you will be able to find the right keywords by using the right tools. Here are some tips and guidelines for choosing keywords that will increase your search engine rankings.
- Keep it simple. Remember your target audience probably does not know industry-specific terms, so don’t get too technical when choosing keywords to describe your product or service.
- On the other hand, don’t be generic. Keywords and phrases that are too general (such as “house” for real estate) will be difficult to rank so they will not drive as much quality traffic to your site. Creating long tail keywords between three to five words in length that specifically describe your product or service will attract the right customers and produce desired results.
- Look for patterns in the way people search. Are they looking for a type of something, specific characteristics, or is there a location component? As you sort keywords, group them into categories. If you aren’t completely sure about a keyword, run a Google or Bing search to see if the right type of results comes up.
- Use free SEO tools to help you with suggestions. The Google Keyword Tool and Wordtracker are some helpful free services.
- Once you have your selected keywords, naturally incorporate them into the content of your website. If they are not used on any existing pages, make an editorial calendar of new relevant, interesting, keyword-rich content to create over time. Remember to add any new webpages to your sitemap as you go!
Keyword research and analysis is not a one-time procedure, but a process that should be refreshed periodically because people gradually change the way they search over time. If your company adds a new product or service, you should repeat the technique every time to stay competitive. If you have any SEO questions, Blue Interactive Agency has been helping companies for years with a wide range of services in search engine optimization and search engine marketing including keyword analysis, link building, and search engine submission. Contact us today to see how we can help.