As a tech-savvy entrepreneur, you realize the importance of maintaining a prominent online presence. You know that in today’s digitally attuned society, companies whose websites consistently rank in the top three positions in search results get the most calls, generate the most business, and have a built-in industry authority that’s hard to beat. You’ve worked hard to gain a high search ranking for your company’s website, and it is finally positioned where you want it. The digital landscape is not static, however – you’re going to have to take action to maintain that high search visibility. Monitoring and maintaining your website’s SERP is an ongoing effort but it doesn’t have to be difficult; you can enact a complete monthly SEO Action Plan in 5 easy steps. Just follow the steps below and you’ll be able to maintain or even raise your website’s SERP with ease!
- Step 1: Diagnostics / Error Checking – once a month
At the beginning of each month use Google’s Webmaster Tools to examine your website for errors. Google’s free SEO tool will identify any crawl errors that have developed on your site, so you can take corrective action before you take a massive hit to your SERP. Common errors include:
- 404 pages
- blocked robots.txt
- redirection errors
- duplicate content issues
- faulty backlinks
- Step 2: Key Metrics and Measurements – weekly
A weekly analysis of your website’s search performance will ensure there are no big surprises lurking in your SEO closet. Look at all the key metrics for your website. Once you’ve collected these key metrics, identify what is responsible for the changes and take any necessary corrective action. A quick punch list of necessary metrics includes:
- Number of visits from each of the top search engines
- Which keywords are driving traffic, and how your site is ranking on each
- Competitor SEO Analysis – what terms do you competitors rank high for and why?
- Compare performance on desktop searches vs. mobile
- Compare your website’s performance over the past several months
- Step 3: Keyword and Content – weekly
Next, you want to look for keyword and content opportunities.
- Keywords: Since keywords’ effectiveness is determined by customer searches, you will need to adjust your keywords as language usage and popular terms drift and change over time. There may also be mentions of industry-related terms in the news that you can incorporate into your search terms, or changes in the focus of your business. Remember to include phrases and long-tail search phrases to maintain your ranking on mobile search. Once you compile the list of keywords for the week, it’s time to move on to creating meaningful content around those keywords.
- Content: You don’t need to perform a drastic site renovation each week to incorporate your new keywords and search phrases. Writing a weekly or biweekly blog post (with strict attention to the best SEO copywriting practices) is an ideal way to update your site with the latest keywords. You can also create landing pages, white papers, and articles to keep the content on your website current with the latest trending keywords, phrases, and topics.
- Step 4: Outreach, Engagement, and Strategic Link Building – daily
In order to establish brand awareness and position your company as an industry authority in the eyes of the online community, you will need to engage with other companies and individuals. There are many areas that offer opportunities for engagement and strategic link building including
- Trade organizations
- Business directories
- Google+ Hangouts and circles
- LinkedIn discussions / groups
Once you find a likely area of engagement, it’s time to interact with the community. There are many ways to get involved; you can join discussions, post answers on forums, get involved in Q & A sessions, and write articles as a guest blogger for recognized industry information sources. As you gain notice from the online community and establish yourself as an industry authority, you will notice an increase in backlinks from reputable sites. The direct links, backlinks, and the increased traffic you generate through these efforts will all help to maintain / increase your SERP.
- Step 5: Company Compliance – every other week or monthly
This is an important step in larger companies, where various individuals may be involved in community engagement efforts or participating in online PR. You may also have staff from other departments making changes to your company’s website without considering SEO. This includes adding photos, graphics, and charts, or uploading white papers and reports. You will need to rework these items to bring these items into SEO compliance, either through adding keywords to the Meta data or reworking content to incorporate keywords and phrases.
If you need help implementing this SEO plan, or are too busy to take care of SEO matters yourself, Blue Interactive Agency can help. We provide complete SEO services, from keyword analysis and search engine submissions to strategic link building, expert SEO copywriting services, and monthly SEO maintenance packages.
Contact us at Blue Interactive Agency today at 954-779-2801 for complete SEO services to build your brand and help you achieve the search visibility your company needs to succeed!