You’ve written a riveting blog, and you’re almost ready to publish and start growing your following…. just as soon as you find the right image to accompany it. If you have a bottomless marketing budget, the solution is easy – you can afford to go to one of the large stock photo services like iStockPhoto or Shutterstock and have a world of high quality, high resolution images at your fingertips. Sign up for a subscription and you can joyfully add images to your blog, Facebook posts, and Tweets without a care. But what if you’re a budget-conscious business owner who needs to make every marketing dollar count?
If you are one of the many bloggers that need to find images that are eye catching, professional, and most importantly free, there are a couple of sites where you can find exactly what you need. At Blue Interactive Agency, we’re proud of our reputation as the content marketing agency Boca Raton businesses turn to for marketing advice and we’re always glad to help marketers find the tools they need to succeed. We’ve put together a list of where you can find the best free stock images, along with some blogging tips and design advice to get you started. Hope it helps and happy blogging!
Best Free Stock Images for Blogging
If you’re writing a blog for your company’s website, then you need to find images that can be used for commercial purposes. Fortunately there are some great free stock image sites where you can find the images you need without breaking your budget. Your best solution is to find images that are under CC0 Creative Commons Zero license, which means you can use them for any purpose, without attribution (so you don’t have to say who created the image). To the best of our knowledge, we’ve only listed sites with images that are free without attribution, but the web is fluid and sites can change their rules at any time. Always check the licensing on an image before you download and use it.
- Picjumbo offers a selection of 600+ free photos, in a variety of categories, including a fabulous food The site is searchable, but with only a few images per page it can take a while to find what you’re looking for.
- Unsplash adds ten new photos to their site every ten days. Lots of gorgeous landscapes, city shots, and unique photos; only downside is their site is not searchable, so it can take some time to find the image you need.
- If you’re looking for something a bit quirky and fun, Gratisography is the place to go. Images range from the sublime to the absurd, and all are different enough from the standard fare to give your blog an extra boost. This is the place to go if you’re trying to create an iconic look that stands out from the crowd.
- Our favorite by far is Pixabay, a blogger’s dream come true with tens of thousands of free stock photos, images, and vectors in a variety of categories. The fantastic collection is completely searchable, returning as many as 50 or more images per page and providing professional-style downloading so you can quickly obtain the exact image to fit your blogging, posting, and website design needs.
Finding the perfect image for your blog can be a bit tricky; it’s not just a matter of entering the right search term. Keep in mind the following tips as you start your search:
- Match the image to your blog content
We’ve all clicked on a link that accompanies an interesting image or photo that caught our eye, only to find that the image has absolutely nothing to do with the blog it is connected to. While these tactics will temporarily increase the number of visitors to your blog, you’re not gaining anything meaningful, just annoying a lot of people who might otherwise have been interested in what you have to say. Choose images and photos that illustrate the content of your blog, and you’ll gain the right kind of traffic – interested visitors who will investigate the rest of your website.
- Don’t be afraid to go emotional
Images that evoke an emotion are generally the most powerful, because they affect people on a visceral level. If you’re writing a blog about overcoming challenges to become successful, an exhausted runner crossing the finish line with arms upraised in triumph conveys your message better than yet another businessman smiling confidently at the camera. When you can illustrate the emotional content of your blog, perfectly capturing a feeling of frustration, triumph, or a heartwarming Awww moment – that is when you are going to get the most clicks.
Website Design Advice
One key bit of design advice that some new bloggers forget is that you always need to consider your overall website design when choosing images for your blog. If your website features a classically elegant font, with color scheme of tasteful black, silver, and greys, don’t choose blog photos with screamingly bright colors or cartoonish images. You may attract initial attention but you will destroy the overall look of your site. Consider featuring black and white photos with just a splash of color – they’ll be different enough to get your posts noticed without ruining the tone of your site.
If you find that blogging and searching for images takes up too much of your time, Blue Interactive Agency can help. We offer expert content marketing support services to take care of all of your blogging chores for you; and since we’re a dedicated Boca Raton SEO company, you know we’ll put in the right keywords to gain you the high search rank your website deserves!
Contact us at Blue Interactive Agency today at 954-779-2801 for more blogging tips along with the expert SEO content marketing services to get your Boca Raton business the notice it deserves!