There’s no question that images are an important part of websites. They attract visitors, illustrate points, and add color and pop to what would otherwise be a boring screen filled with text. And when they are correctly edited, images can even improve your website’s search rank and make it easier for interested visitors to find you. Google and other search engines give the highest search rank positions to websites that are fast loading, easy to access, and provide the most relevant information for given search terms. Google can’t “see” images, but you can edit your images and apply SEO strategies in a way that allows them to positively affect your position in search results. Learning how to edit images to raise your search rank isn’t difficult; just apply the following image optimization tips and you’ll be on your way.
- Use descriptive, keyword-rich names for your images
The generic names that cameras assign to images (like Img330802.jpg) give search engines no information to crawl. Rename your images with descriptive phrases that include keyword terms that visitors use in searches. This gives Google another element that indicates your webpage is a relevant source of information, which will help raise your search rank. As an added bonus, your photos will show up in image searches giving you another channel for funneling traffic to your website.
- Apply SEO strategies to your images’ information
Before you post images to your website, take the time to optimize their information for search. The additional image information gives a powerful boost to your search rank position and takes only moments to implement. Apply SEO strategies to these key areas:
- Alt tag – This text shows for some visual-impaired visitors and it also appears when your mouse hovers over the image. You should never keyword stuff – Google will downgrade your site if you try– but you can include a keyword or two provided they are part of descriptive text that makes the image’s subject matter clear. If the image accompanies your blog, use your blog’s title for the alt tag. If the image is a product you offer, include the serial or product number used to refer to the item.
- Description – You can add more detailed information about the image. Try to match the information to the content of your page for the greatest SEO benefit.
- Caption – This text will appear alongside your image on your webpage, so you may not want to add a caption. If you do, using the blog title or main content will provide the biggest boost to your search rank.
- Minimize the file size of your images
Google considers page load time when ranking websites, so you should always compress your images to get the smallest file size you can without sacrificing image quality. An average rule of thumb is to aim for images of 70mb or less. Remember to size your images before you save them; if you upload a large image and rely on your website rules to resize the image, your site will suffer from a slow load time and a lower search rank.
- Create an image sitemap
- Beware the three B’s: backgrounds, buttons, and borders
Large, full screen backgrounds figure prominently in the latest website design trends, but these jumbo sized images can really slow your website’s load speed. Make sure you minimize file sizes for all decorative images, such as backgrounds, buttons, and borders, for a faster loading website. When optimizing your website images, keep in mind that different rules apply to decorative images. Google considers adding alt tags or descriptions to images in these categories “over optimization,” and will actually penalize you for it. Instead, just concentrate on compressing these files to reduce your website’s load times.
If you’re interested in raising your website’s search rank, Blue Interactive Agency can help. As a leading Palm Beach SEO agency, we have the necessary experience and skills to ensure your website gains the highest possible position in search results. We can perform an optimization checkup on your existing website and perform any needed optimization to raise your website’s search rank. Blue Interactive Agency offers a full array of SEO website strategies, including initial website SEO design, SEO content creation services, link building strategies, and more.
Contact us at Blue Interactive Agency today at 954-779-2801 for more tips on raising your search rank along with expert SEO services to get your Palm Beach website the high search rank it deserves!